Saturday, October 25, 2014

the most amazing thing i've ever done for my skin

i'm the type of girl who has had very dry, extremely sensitive skin her whole life. for in stance: oh, look at this fancy new mascara! just kidding, feels like i dumped hydrogen peroxide in my eyes. cute, fun smelling, off-brand lotion? nope nope nope. not unless i want a strange-looking rash for a few days. forgot to use shave gel (i actually use conditioner in place of shave gel, but you get the idea)? oh, well looks like i'll be sporting some red polka dots. all over my skin. anyway, you get the idea. well, my mom has been telling me for weeks to try sugar scrub. but not just regular sugar scrub, all-natural, homemade sugar scrub like all the posts i'm sure you've seen on pinterest (like this one or this one or all of these).

fast forward to thursday. i've been struggling with my stupid dry skin, momma has this secret weapon against problem skin, and we have the whole day to hang out and do whatever. soooooo, enter sugar-scrub-making extravaganza. momma has taken a bunch of different recipies from the internet and frankensteined  them together, but really, no matter how you make it, it's basically impossible to mess up. so, just try out some of the above recipies and tweak as needed. you'll get a feel for what the consistency should be and how strong it should smell once you try out your first batch.

so, we quested for all of our ingredients, we mixed, we adjusted, we mixed some more, etc. and eventually we came up with three different scents (orange clove, lavender vanilla, and vanilla coffee) and enough sugar scrub for about ten people. i got pretty excited, considering how yummy they smelled and then (realizing it was pretty late in the evening) i had to promptly get in my car and drive the two hours back home. it was late when i got home, so i just flopped into bed and passed out. the next morning i woke up and started cleaning the apartment, you know, doing laundry, tidying up the living room, etc. and then it hits me: i have some kick-butt sugar scrub waiting for me! so i grabbed my jar, ran to the bathroom, and started scrubbing. it was love a first handful. in fact, i'm pretty sure i used way more than they recommend, but a little extra sugar scrub never hurt anybody, right? you have no idea how soft skin can be until you try it. believe me. this is the first time i've not had to put lotion on after my shower in, well, my whole life.

i will admit that at first i was like "oh great, feels like i just covered myself in motor oil". it's kind of strange, but just rinse normally and give it time to soak in. then you can bask in the glory of baby-soft, freshly exfoliated skin. and, yes, i did use it on my face. i have combination skin and my face has been soft, smooth, and moisturized all day and i am loving it. i should have listened to momma a long time ago. you hear that mom? you were right. again. but, i mean, when is she not?

until next time
-kristin

p.s.
if you do decide to make your own, comment below and tell me how it went: what scent you made, how easy/difficult it was, which ingredients you decided could be left out vs. which ones just had to be in there, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment